Traeger Sloppy Joes
Smoked ground beef is stirred into a rich, flavorful tomato sauce right on the Traeger. You’ll never think of the lunch lady again after trying these Traegered Sloppy Joes.
- 2 Pound ground beef
- 1 Tablespoon Canola oil
- 1 Medium carrot, chopped
- 1 Medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 Clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 Teaspoon ancho chili powder, or chili powder
- 1/4 Teaspoon chipotle powder, or hot sauce
- 1/4 Teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 Teaspoon Ground black pepper
- 1/2 Cup Traeger Texas Spicy BBQ Sauce
- 1 1/2 Teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 5 rolls, for serving
- When ready to cook, set the Traeger temperature to 180˚F and preheat with the lid closed for 15 minutes. For optimal flavor, use Super Smoke, if available.
- Form the ground beef into 1/2-inch-thick hamburger patties. Place the patties directly on the grill grates, close the lid and cook for 30 minutes. This will add a smoky flavor, but not cook them all the way through.
- Remove the burger patties from the grill and set aside. Increase the grill temperature to 450˚F and place a cast iron skillet directly on the grill grates. Close the lid and allow to preheat for 15 minutes.
- In the skillet on the grill, add the oil, onion, carrot, and bell pepper. Close the lid and sauté until the onions are translucent, 5-10 minutes.
- Add the garlic, ancho powder, chipotle powder, salt, and black pepper. Stir, close the lid, and cook for 5 minutes. Add the barbecue sauce and Worcestershire and let it thicken.
- Add the smoked meat, and stir using a wooden spoon to break up any larger pieces, close the lid, and cook for about 15 minutes. The meat should be cooked through and coated with the sauce.
- Check for seasoning and adjust any of the ingredients to your preference. If desired, place the buns on the grill grates cut-side-down and toast for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove the buns and Sloppy Joe skillet from the grill. Spoon the mixture onto the buns and serve with your favorite sides. Enjoy!