Without proper care, your yard can quickly become a battleground of grass vs. weeds. Fortunately, there's no need for a turf war, thanks to our most-requested annual lawn care plan, the Scotts® 4 Step® lawn. We show you exactly how and when to feed for a better spring, summer, fall and winter lawn.
How To Do The Scotts® 4-Step®
Step® 1 – Crabgrass Preventer Plus Lawn Food:
Apply in early spring, anytime between February and April when temperatures are still cool (under 80˚F).
Step® 1 prevents crabgrass before it can germinate. It also feeds to green up a winter-weary lawn, too.
- Ready yourself for the season, but prepare for the year buy all four bags now.
- Choose from 5,000 sq. ft. or 15,000 sq. ft. size.
- Apply Step® 1 on or before Easter.
- To help improve your soil before the growing season, apply Scotts® Foundation Soil Improver around the same time as your Step® 1 application.
Step 2® – Weed Control Plus Lawn Food:
Apply Step® 2 in late spring, anytime between April and June, but be sure to wait 4-6 weeks after applying Step® 1. It kills many broadleaf weeds like dandelions, while feeding and nourishing the lawn. Step® 2 builds thick, green turf from the roots up.
- Apply Step® 2 near Memorial Day.
- Apply on a calm day, on a damp lawn, and when rain is not expected for at least 24 hours.
Step® 3 – Lawn Food With 2% Iron:
Give your lawn a mid-season boost with an application of Step® 3. Apply in the summer, between June and August. Step® 3 feeds and strengthens the lawn against heat and drought, guaranteed.
- Apply Step® 3 close to Independence Day.
- If rain is not expected, immediately water after application.
- Spot treat weeds, as needed.
Step® 4 – Fall Lawn Food
Step® 4 can be applied 4 to 6 weeks after Step® 3, between August and November. It greens up the lawn now, and helps strengthen and protect it for a better lawn next spring.
- Apply Step® 4 from Labor Day until mid October.
- Water in to speed greening, if desired.
Was this Know How In No Time helpful? Let us know below!