Spicy Sweet Sausage & Pepper Pizza
- For the sausage:
- 0.7 ounces (20 grams) minced garlic
- 1 ounce (30 grams) yellow onion, finely chopped
- 0.5 ounces (15 grams) dried oregano
- 0.35 ounces (10 grams) red chili flakes
- 0.7 ounces (20 grams) kosher salt
- 0.7 ounces (20 grams) Parmesan
- 0.07 ounces (2 grams) black pepper
- 32 ounces (2 pounds) ground pork
- 2 red bell peppers
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 0.7 ounces (20 grams) extra virgin olive oil
- 0.35 ounces (10 grams) salt
- 0.17 ounces (5 grams) dried Italian oregano
- Four 8.8-ounce (250-gram) dough balls
- Flour, for dusting
- 11.3 ounces (320 grams) crushed tomatoes
- 14 ounces (400 grams) fresh mozzarella cheese
- 1.4 ounces (40 grams) Pecorino Romano, grated
- 1 bunch fresh basil, for garnish
- For the sausage, put 0.7 ounces (20 grams) minced garlic, 1 ounce (30 grams) finely chopped yellow onion, 0.5 ounces (15 grams) dried oregano, 0.35 ounces (10 grams) red chili flakes, 0.7 ounces (20 grams) kosher salt, 0.7 ounces (20 grams) Parmesan and 0.07 ounces (2 grams) black pepper with 32 ounces (2 pounds) ground pork in a large bowl. Using your hands, mix together all of the ingredients until fully incorporated. Cook off a small piece to test for seasoning in a pan and adjust if necessary.
Tip: To make the incorporation even easier, combine all non-meat ingredients in a food processor and blend into a paste, then combine with the pork using your hands.
- For the peppers and onions, preheat your oven to 650°F (340°C) on the stone baking board inside. (Use an infrared thermometer to quickly and accurately check the temperature of the stone.
- Slice the peppers and onions into ½ inch strips. Toss with olive oil, salt and 0.17 ounces (5 grams) dried Italian oregano, place on a baking sheet and put it in the oven.
- Cook until soft and slightly browned, removing the pan from the oven (wearing your Ooni pizza gloves) and using a spatula to stir, for about 8 minutes.
Tip: If you want to cook your peppers and onions on your stovetop, simply heat the olive oil over high heat in a medium saute pan, add the peppers, onions, salt and oregano to the pan and cook until softened.
When the peppers and onions are cooked, increase the heat of your oven, aiming for 850°F to 950°F (450°C to 500°C) on the stone baking board, using your thermometer to check the temperature.
- Place a dough ball on your lightly-floured work surface. Push the air from the center out to the edge with your fingers. Stretch the dough out to a 12-inch (30 cm) round base, and then keep your dough on the countertop, or lay the stretched dough over your lightly floured pizza peel.
- Top with 2.8 ounces (80 grams) of crushed tomatoes.
- Top with 3.5 ounces (100 grams) of mozzarella cheese.
Then add 2.8 ounces (80 grams) of sausage, pinched off in teaspoon-size chunks, and ¼ of the peppers and onions. Tip: If putting the sausage on raw, be sure to keep the chunks small so that they cook fully in the oven.
- Sprinkle 0.35 ounces (10 grams) of Pecorino Romano on top.
- Launch your pizza into the oven. Cook your pizza for 60 to 90 seconds, turning every 20 seconds to ensure an even cook.
- Remove from the oven and top with fresh basil.
- Slice, serve and enjoy!
Repeat for the remaining 3 pizzas.
For more seasonal tips and tricks, fun DIY's and so much more check out our Helpful Tips!