Cheesy Nachos with Steak and Black Beans
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon ancho chile powder
- 1 teaspoon packed light sugar
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon chipotle chile powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1¼ pound skirt steak, ½ to ¾ inch thick, trimmed of excess surface fat, cut crosswise into 2 or 3 pieces
- 1 bag (12 ounces) tortilla chips
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 2 cups your favorite tomato salsa
- 1 ripe Hass avocado, diced
- In a small bowl mix together the paste ingredients. Brush the paste on both sides of the steak pieces. Let the steak stand at room temperature for 15 to 30 minutes before grilling.
- Prepare the grill for direct cooking over high heat (450° to 550°F).
- Brush the cooking grates clean. Grill the steak pieces over direct high heat, with the lid closed, until cooked to your desired doneness, 4 to 6 minutes for medium rare, turning once. Remove from the grill and let rest for 3 to 5 minutes. Cut the steak across the grain into bite-sized pieces.
- Layer half of the tortilla chips, steak, black beans, cheddar cheese, and Monterey Jack cheese on a large sheet pan. Place the pan over direct high heat, close the lid, and cook until the cheese is melted, about 5 minutes. In a medium bowl combine the salsa and avocado. Remove the nachos from the grill. Serve immediately with the salsa. Repeat with the remaining ingredients on a second large sheet pan.