Big Green Egg Smoked Mac & Cheese
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter
- 4 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- 1 tbsp Big Green Egg Sweet & Smoky Seasoning
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 2 cups whole milk
- 4 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese, separated
- 1 cup shredded gruyere cheese
- 1 cup shredded gouda cheese
- 1 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1 pound medium pasta shells or macaroni, cooked al dente
- Set the EGG for direct cooking without the convEGGtor at 350ºF/177ºC; add the cast iron skillet to the EGG to preheat.
- Melt the butter in the cast iron skillet. Add the flour and, using a whisk and stirring constantly, cook for 2 minutes. Continue stirring as you add the dry mustard, Big Green Egg Sweet & Smoky Seasoning, salt, and pepper and cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Slowly add the cream and milk and continue cooking, stirring constantly, for 7 to 8 minutes, until the sauce bubbles slightly. Do not let the sauce boil.
- Remove the skillet from the EGG and add 3 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese, 1 cup gruyere, 1 cup gouda, and 1 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano cheeses to the sauce. Stir until the cheese is melted. Add the pasta to the cast iron skillet and fold it into the sauce.
- Set the EGG for indirect cooking with the convEGGtor at 300ºF/177ºC.
- Add 1 cup of shredded sharp cheddar cheese to the top of the mac & cheese. Place the cast iron skillet in the EGG and smoke for 1 hour. Remove the mac & cheese once the top cheese is melted and bubbly. Serve immediately.