BBQ Pork Shoulder with Carolina SauceA pork butt or pork shoulder is the ultimate piece of barbecue meat with all the tasty pork and the fat that will baste it while it slowly cooks into a luscious melting pile of deliciousness with a crusty smoky bark on the outside.
- 1 whole bone in pork butt, about 8 pounds
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Big Green Egg Savory Pecan Seasoning
- 1/2 cup apple juice
- Big Green Egg Bold and Tangy Carolina Barbecue Sauce
- Set the EGG for indirect cooking with the convEGGtor at 275°F/135°C with hickory smoking chunks.
- Trim any loose fat from the butt but leave the heavy fat cap on. Rub the butt all over with the oil and season the butt liberally on all the meaty surfaces with the Big Green Egg Savory Pecan Seasoning.
- Place the butt on the EGG fat side down. Cook for about 8 hours until it reaches an internal temperature of 170°. Lay out a big sheet of double thick heavy-duty aluminum foil and put the pork butt in the middle. fat side up. As you begin to close up the package pour the apple juice in the bottom and then seal the package. Put the butt back in the EGG and cook until it reaches an internal temperature of 200° deep in the meaty part. This should take another 2 to 3 hours.
- When the pork is done remove it from the EGG and open the package. Let cool for 15 minutes. With meat claws pull the pork apart discarding any fat or bones. Top it with the Big Green Egg Bold and Tangy Carolina Barbecue Sauce and toss to combine. Serve with sauce on the side.