Bacon-Wrapped Spatchcocked Turkey
- 1 (18-20 lb) fresh whole turkey
- 1 Traeger Orange Brine and Turkey Rub Kit
- 4 Tbsp Olive oil
- 1.5 Lb. Thick-cut applewood bacon
- Prepare turkey by removing cavity contents and giblets package under front flap. Rinse turkey inside and out, and set aside.
- Prepare the Traeger Orange Brine according to package directions and cool completely.
- Line a bucket with a brine bag and carefully place the turkey into the brine bag. Add the brine solution and brine the turkey (under refrigeration) for 45 minutes per pound.
- When ready to cook, set Traeger temperature to 190°F and preheat, lid closed for 15 minutes.
- While Traeger is heating up, carefully remove turkey from the brine. DO NOT RINSE.
- Place the turkey onto a stable cutting board and with heavy-duty poultry shears or a large chef's knife, cut along both sides of the backbone, and remove the backbone. Be sure to watch for any shards of bone and remove.
- Using poultry shears or the heel of your knife, split the breastbone/sternum and lay the turkey flat.
- Rub turkey with olive oil and season to taste with Traeger Turkey Rub from the kit.
- Place the turkey cavity/bone-side down into the Traeger and smoke at 190°F for 1 hour.
- While turkey is smoking, make your bacon blanket on a sheet of butcher paper or foil, keep cold.
- After 1 hour of smoke, increase the Traeger temperature to 400°F and preheat, lid closed for 15 minutes.
- Open the lid and carefully turn the bacon blanket over onto the turkey. NOTE: If you want to save drippings for gravy, add turkey to a pan, then cover with bacon blanket.
- Add the Traeger WiFIRE probe to the thickest part of the breast and set probe alarm for 160°F, carry over cooking will take turkey past 165°F for final internal temperature.
- Close the lid and let turkey cook for 1-1/2 to 2 hours. Carefully remove the turkey from the Traeger using heatproof gloves.
- Remove the bacon blanket and save for snacking or chopped bacon needs. Allow turkey to cool for 5 minutes, slice and enjoy!