Prepare a Room for Paint
Follow these 6 important steps when preparing a room for paint:
- Clean Your Room - Move furniture and wall art out of the room. The more you can move out the easier it will be to work in the room.
- Remove Light and Outlet Covers - Cover outlets with painter's tape.
- Cover Your Floors - Use a large drop cloth to protect your floor from spills.
- Clean Surfaces - Wipe baseboards with a damp cloth, dust away cobwebs, wash any dirt or grease with a mild detergent.
- Fix Holes, Cracks & Gaps - Use a lightweight spackle for nail holes and cracks. For deeper gouges use a sandable spackling paste. Allow to dry. Sand lightly to a smooth finish.
- Mask Surfaces to Protect - Use painter's tape to mask baseboards, window and door casings, and light fixtures.
Know before you go! Download our full materials checklist: