Can Your Harvest
There are 5 important steps to can your harvest:
- Wash supplies ahead of time, keep the jars warm until ready to use by running them through the dishwasher. Preheat water in the canner with enough water to cover the jars at least 1 inch during processing.
- Prepare the recipe for what you are canning. Fill the jars using a wide funnel. Be sure to wipe drips and spills off the rim and outer edge of the jar and then put the lid on and screw the band down until finger tight.
- Place the filled jars on the canning rack and lower them into the canner. The water should cover the jar by at least one inch. Put the lid on the canner pot and once the water reaches a boil set a timer for the recommended processing time.
- Once the processing time is complete, use a jar lifter to transfer the jars from the canner to a towel or cooling rack and let cool for at least 12 hours.
- After the jars have cooled, check each jar for a proper seal. Press the center of each lid. If it is properly sealed the lid won’t flex or pop. Put any unsealed jars in the fridge to use immediately and store the others in a cool, dry place out of direct sunlight.
Know before you go! Download our full materials checklist: